Dealing with Daughter’s Extra Marital Relations

Q: My 18 year old daughter confronted her mother and I that she has had sex with a non Muslim out of marriage. She is no longer living in our house and for last 2 months we know nothing about her. What should our stance be as her mother cries every day when she thinks of her and her well being?

A. Encourage her to repent unto Allah Ta’aala and coax her to return home. An eighteen year old girl alone out there is worrisome. By her being alone and away from her parents, who knows what other wrongs she can get involved in because there is now no one above her. Do not be harsh with her. Rather speak to her kindly and encourage her towards leading an Islamic life and returning home. There will be more control if she is at home. Make Du’aa for her in abundance. Du’aas of the parents are extremely valuable and beneficial.

Mufti Siraj adds:
When making Du’aa, also repent to Allah for any decision or act taken by you or your wife that may have been the cause of your daughter going out and meeting friends, resulting in Zina; for example, sending her to school or varsity, or allowing her freedom from a young age to intermingle and roam outside.

May Allah always guide and protect us, Aameen.

Moulana Yusuf Laher
Checked by: Mufti Siraj Desai