Dua for Reconciliation after Divorce

Q: If you are already divorced from your husband with a talaq-e-bain, and you already sat in your iddat, can you make dua to Allah to reconcile you if you really miss your spouse?

A. This type of Du’aa is permissible. Be careful not to do anything which is contrary to Shari’ah. If reconciliation does occur, ensure that the proper steps are followed. Before making this Du’aa, look at the practical side of matters; don’t act on your emotions. Ask yourself whether the problems that caused the divorce have been resolved; whether both of you will not repeat the mistakes of the past; if the answers to these questions are negative, forget your feelings and emotions and allow the Nikah to lapse.  We do not want to open up old wounds again.

Mufti Siraj Desai