Validity of Court Divorce

Q: My husband has divorced his first wife thorough the court and sent her the divorce papers but they are Shia and are not accepting this divorce. Has the divorce taken place?

A: A court divorce is not recognised in Shariah. Husband should write out an Islamic divorce and send it to his first wife. In this case, no divorce has taken place.

Mufti Siraj Desai